Saturday, December 4, 2010

Why Scan??

When I first heard that Heritage Makers consultants were offering scanning services to their clients, I thought to myself - why would someone want to scan their photos?

I know many of you are thinking the same thing, and the main answer is PRESERVATION of your precious photos and memories. You may feel like your photographs are safe, but if you, like I, have gone through boxes of old family photos, even ones that were "properly" stored in a good climate and temperature, they have lost much of their original quality, if not all of it. Now is the time to get those photos scanned!

1. Restoration
2. Sharing
3. Fading
4. Color Shift
5. Scratching
6. Disaster

1. RESTORE When I scan photos for my clients, I also restore them. This brings back the color to photos that most people didn't even realize had faded. I can also do more extensive restoration (see previous blog postings for samples) as well, but even just a simple "refeshing" of the photos really makes them a joy to see.

2. SHARE Often, a family will gather after the death of a loved one (or before) and determine how to "divide up" the photographs. This is a shame because not everyone gets to enjoy all of the photos. With scanning, all of the photos can be placed on CDs, making it possible to divide up the actual photos, but for everyone to have the digital images of each and every one. They are then ready to make prints of, or put into a Heritage Makers book for everyone to enjoy!

For information about the other four points above, see the article on Fading below as well as the Scan Cafe website. I have recently been introduced to this fine company and they do excellent work with scanning of slides, which is a service I could not previously offer.
Contact me to handle your photo or slide scanning today.

No comments: